W.P. ELMER HOME
The Dent County Museum was a home originally occupied by W.P. Elmer, a local lawyer and U.S. Congressman. Built in 1895 by Angus MacGlashan and supervised by Charles Thornhill, a local carpenter. The area around this house was called Wingfield Grove and this is where the people of Salem came for their Fourth of July festivities and picnics. Angus sold the house to W.P. Elmer in 1906 for $2,700 (exactly what Angus had spent on materials). He did this because another buyer wanted to clear all the timber around the house and Mr. McGlashan knew that W.P. Elmer would leave the trees standing. The other buyer had offered more money but McGlashan sold it to W.P. Elmer.
The Elmer family moved into their new home on December 26, 1906. Once the family was settled in they decided to call their new home “The Oaks”. Mr. and Mrs. Elmer’s daughters, Helen, Amelia, Lucille and Dorothy were born in this home. At one time the home had a large tower next to it that included a water tank and a 12 foot windmill. The home is now the site of the Dent County Museum (2010).
William Price Elmer
Amy (Adelmann) Elmer
William Doss Elmer
Victorine Dale (Elmer) Whitmire
McVeigh Adelmann “Buck” Elmer
Billie Ruth (Elmer) Dent
Vivian Katrina (Elmer) Gatlin
Helen Willene (Elmer) Turner
Amelia Imogene (Elmer) Hamilton
Dorothy Elizabeth (Elmer) Horn
|Get The Book! A spiral bound book containing the details and photos of the complete Salem Historical Walking Tour is available for purchase from the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Proceeds support the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Take a Walk Down Memory Lane...Click Here To Order.|
| Salem's Historical Walking Tour is a project of Salem Area Community Betterment Association and the Salem TCRC.
© Copyright 2013 SACBA. Acknowledgements.
|This page is intended to be viewed online and may not be printed. You can purchase a copy of the book at http://www.salemmo.com/walkingtour/BuyTheBook.asp|