Walking Tour Banner
About the Tour
Map / Locations
Buy The Book
SalemMo.com
back 36. Doss Gibson Home next
Salem Telephone Exchange Circa 1915
1st Salem Telephone Company Early 1900s Wooden Phone

700 N. Jackson Street

John Doss Gibson was a local businessman who ran a drug store on Fourth Street.  As a boy Doss worked in the iron mines around Salem.  Later Doss worked for Dr. J.N. McMurtrey in a drug store on Fourth and Main Streets where Craig Plaza is located today (2010).  Doss worked for Dr. McMurtrey at the drug store until 1897.  He bought a drug store owned by M.E. Dogby which was located where Beehive Florist is presently located (2010).  He changed the name of the drug store to Gibson’s and served the public for 34 years at this location.  He met and married Eva Edna Hawkins on October 14, 1901.  She passed away at a young age and Doss later married Arzetta Calahan on March 5, 1918.  Doss and Arzetta had two children.

John Doss Gibson
4/28/1865 – 10/20/1939

Eva Edna (Hawkins) Gibson
4/24/1877 – 2/15/1916

Arzetta (Calahan) Gibson
5/1893 - ??

Thomas Calahan Gibson
2/11/1919 – 1/22/1995

Peggy E. (Gibson) Regan
1924 - ??

Back Next
Ornament Return to Map ornament
Get The Book! A spiral bound book containing the details and photos of the complete Salem Historical Walking Tour is available for purchase from the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Proceeds support the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Take a Walk Down Memory Lane...Click Here To Order.
Salem's Historical Walking Tour is a project of Salem Area Community Betterment Association and the Salem TCRC.
© Copyright 2013 SACBA. Acknowledgements.
Salem Tourism LogoDent County Tourism
Dent County Courthouse
This page is intended to be viewed online and may not be printed. You can purchase a copy of the book at http://www.salemmo.com/walkingtour/BuyTheBook.asp