Walking Tour Banner
About the Tour
Map / Locations
Buy The Book
SalemMo.com
back 21. McCrea & Co. Livery Stable next
McCrea Livery Stable

Current home of United States Post Office

The Dilworth Hall was erected in the early 1880's to hold graduation exercises for the Salem schools, and to provide a place for local entertainment. This was on the northeast corner of the block facing Fourth Street. On the west end of the block was a frame building and store that gradually converted into a sleeping house for farmers with a livery barn annexed. These buildings gave way to a large building between Dilworth's Hall and the store operated by F.M. (Fine) McCrea. It was used as a livery barn for many years. After that, it became Salem's first garage. Dillworth Hall's first floor was occupied by L.N. Coffman, who had a poultry and produce store. Albert Duckworth had a feed store in that location after Mr. Coffman. E.L. Vernon converted the livery stable into a garage that sold Ford cars. E.F. Dent bought E.L. Vernon's garage. Dent had the garage torn down, and through the years, a series of business buildings were built in its place. Wayne Finch Pontiac was one of these businesses. It was later torn down to build the present post office.

Back Next
Ornament Return to Map ornament
Get The Book! A spiral bound book containing the details and photos of the complete Salem Historical Walking Tour is available for purchase from the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Proceeds support the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Take a Walk Down Memory Lane...Click Here To Order.
Salem's Historical Walking Tour is a project of Salem Area Community Betterment Association and the Salem TCRC.
© Copyright 2013 SACBA. Acknowledgements.
Salem Tourism LogoDent County Tourism
Dent County Courthouse
This page is intended to be viewed online and may not be printed. You can purchase a copy of the book at http://www.salemmo.com/walkingtour/BuyTheBook.asp