Walking Tour Banner
About the Tour
Map / Locations
Buy The Book
SalemMo.com
back 2. The Salem Hotel - Block 14 next
The Bank Of Salem

Current home of The Bank Of Salem
100 West Fourth Street

The first building on this site was a two story wooden structure (the Bates Hotel), which burned in the 1878 fire. Later, in 1880, a three story brick hotel, was built by W. R. Love during the mining boom in Salem. The hotel was named the “Salem Hotel”. In the southeast corner of the building was housed the “W. R. Love Store”. This building was destroyed by fire in 1910. James H. Butler and George W. Peck had the “Butler Peck building” and built it on this site after the fire. Some first floor occupants were L. D. Vandivort Drug Store; George Addison law office; Sidney Brown clothing store and a Ben Franklin store. Some second floor occupants have been George Slawson, DDS; Lloyd Hunt, M.D.; M. M. Hart, M.D.; Walter Jenkins, Superintendent of Schools; Dent County Farmer Mutual Insurance Company; G.E. Joseph, M.D., Charles W. Felt, DDS and Dessa May Hester, Chiropractor. The Bank of Salem moved to this location in 1982. It has been there for 28 years (2010).

Back Next
Ornament Return to Map ornament
Get The Book! A spiral bound book containing the details and photos of the complete Salem Historical Walking Tour is available for purchase from the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Proceeds support the Salem Area Community Betterment Association. Take a Walk Down Memory Lane...Click Here To Order.
Salem's Historical Walking Tour is a project of Salem Area Community Betterment Association and the Salem TCRC.
© Copyright 2013 SACBA. Acknowledgements.
Salem Tourism LogoDent County Tourism
Dent County Courthouse
This page is intended to be viewed online and may not be printed. You can purchase a copy of the book at http://www.salemmo.com/walkingtour/BuyTheBook.asp